The Operations Director, Royal Gorge Cross Country oversees the operations of the cross-country center including ticket and season pass sales, grooming, events, patrol, rentals, retail, food and beverage, ski school and lifts. This position oversees controls such as food handling, cash controls, inventory management and timekeeping. The Director proposes and directs capital projects, summer trail maintenance, hut and sign maintenance. This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include; interviewing, hiring and training employees, planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- 10+ years of ski industry related experience
- Superior communication skills and ability to provide excellent guest service in a dynamic, sometimes high-volume, environment
- Advanced knowledge of RTP, credit card management and accurate cash-handling procedures
- Proven ability to recruit and staff cross country departments including supervisory experience and employee performance management
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and policy/procedure manuals.
- Ability to deliver effective front-line training
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
- Valid Class C driver license with a driving record meeting the minimum standards required by our insurance carrier
PREFERRED ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid certifications recommended
- Experience operating heavy equipment; backhoe, front loader, snowmobile/ginzu and grooming tractor
- Teaching or Ski/Snowboard School experience
- Food & Beverage experience
DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Provide excellent customer service to customers, employees and business partners
- Hire, orient, train, direct, motivate, evaluate, and discipline all assigned staff and oversee work schedules in accordance with Sugar Bowl and Royal Gorge policies/procedures and state and federal regulations
- Propose, produce and manage to annual budget, product pricing and capital budget
- Oversee controls such as opening and closing procedures, food handling, cash controls, inventory/invoice/checkbook management and timekeeping
- Maintain current knowledge of lift operations and implements associated training
- Set grooming schedule. Dedicate time to grooming on a weekly basis, training, evaluating grooming performance and resetting expectations.
- Oversee food purchase and help in kitchen when needed. Maintain a current Manager Serve Safe Certificate.
- Organize and hold safety meetings. Maintain EMT certificate and resort safety.
- Oversee ski school and rental operations
- Coordinate and schedule ski classes and instructors according to level of ability
- Propose, plan and coordinate races, special events and promotions
- Market cross-country ski area by working with Sugar Bowl Executive Director of Marketing, coordinating group sales, kids and school programs
- Plan and procure retail and rental equipment, softgoods, ski prep supplies, accessories, and logowear
- Maintain current knowledge of cross-country ski trends including technical and equipment trends
- Maintain current knowledge of teaching and skiing techniques for skating and classic
- Assist with snow removal including shoveling and clearing snow from walkways, stairs, equipment and other areas as needed
- Conduct summer trail, hut and sign maintenance
Pay $72k/year – $111k/year dependent on experience.
All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Sugar Bowl is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.