The Boat Captain (BC) is responsible for the management, coordination, and overall service experience of the Martis Camp Boat. The BC will relentlessly pursue the delivery of the Martis Camp experience in one of the world’s great boating environments, providing our members and their guests with an extraordinary Lake Tahoe boating experience through personalized proactive hospitality, comprehensive daily preparation, complete boat safety, cleanliness and repair and comprehensive lake and nautical knowledge. The Martis Camp Boat Captain will report to the Beach Shack Manager.
The Boat Captain will carry out operational responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable Federal, State, and Maritime laws and regulations. Responsibilities include planning, seasonal set-up and winterization, and regular maintenance scheduling.
The BC will operate within the boundaries of the yearly schedule, budget, and Club Rules, under the direction of the Beach Shack Manager and in accordance with the Club Vision, Mission, Goals and service standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop a superior service attitude and presentation, with an understanding that positive interaction, a “can do” attitude, and anticipating the needs of the Members and their guests is a guiding philosophy.
- Provide directions to other boat captains.
- Maintain an accurate log of all boating activity to assist in accurate, timely billing and development of the annual budget.
- Confirm all reservations 24 hours in advance via phone, email, or text ensuring the boat is appropriately provisioned per Member requests.
- Ensure an exceptionally well-maintained club boat, keeping all service up to date, including seasonal service and repairs and all licenses and fees.
- Monitor all refueling and provision additional supplies as needed.
- Perform pre and post-trip safety inspections to ensure the safest and highest quality boat experience.
- Ensure the boat is spotlessly clean before every trip, performing an interior and exterior inspection before every trip.
- Ensure dock conditions are as safe and appropriately clean as possible.
- Ensure the boat is operated in compliance with all local, State, Federal, and maritime regulations.
- The Club boat is a member amenity. Any usage of the boat, other than by chartered Members must be pre-approved by the GM or COO.
- Maintain a Policies and Procedures Manual for the service standards and training of fellow captains.
- Perform emergency duties in the event of a fire, accident, or other disasters.
- Perform all administrative duties in a timely manner, delivering all reports including daily billing, invoices, expenses, variance reports, payroll, and other such items ahead of scheduled submission times.
- Develop strong, positive communication skills and a cooperative working environment for all staff members keeping all captains and the Beach Shack Manager well informed of work schedules and scheduled trips.
- Guide members in their trip decisions based on weather, lake conditions, and available time
- Maintain high ethical and moral standards that are reflected in working with the boat team and interactions with the members.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned to include assistance at the Beach Shack during less active boating periods.
- Maintain a positive and proactive working relationship with the North Lake Tahoe Marina to ensure impeccable boat condition at all times.
- Coordinate the delivery of Member F&B requests and ensure that the boat is appropriately stocked
- Maintain all safety equipment in ready condition at all times
- Maintain the boat in a state of full readiness at all times
- Maintain constant awareness of weather conditions notifying members of potential cancellations in advance
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to interact and develop positive relationships within the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective listening, interpersonal, and guest service skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Maintain high ethical and moral standards.
- Bilingual preferred (English / Spanish)
- Ability to work with little supervision.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and complete assignments within various time constraints.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS, AND LICENSES:
- Must maintain current USCG-approved Maritime Captain’s License
- Must maintain a clean driver’s license
- Must maintain current CPR/First Aid certification
- Ability to lift and carry weights up to 60lbs, and to assist adults and small children on and off the boat
- Ability to stand and sit for long periods and perform tasks that require bending, stooping, kneeling, bending, twisting, crouching, climbing, reaching, standing, sitting, carrying, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and accessing small spaces on the boat
- Ability to swim
- Ability to communicate effectively and take a commanding presence to ensure the safety of all passengers and property
- Ability to work evenings, holidays, and weekends. Exposure to outside inclement weather conditions including summer sun.
WAGE RANGE: $35-$40 per hour
Martis Camp Club is an equal opportunity employer.