Mark Tanner Construction is the leading builder of custom homes in the Lake Tahoe and Truckee area since 1994. We specialize in creating livable, workable, and flexible spaces that meet the needs and inspirations of our clients. Mark Tanner Construction is not just a construction company, but a team that puts value and creativity behind every project.
Mark Tanner Construction has an immediate need to recruit a finance/accounting leader. The Controller/Finance Manager will be a high-level leader and will partner with the President in general business direction, strategy, and long-term planning. S/he is also responsible for the administrative, accounting, payroll team and driving the day-to-day operations of the company. This position will be a member of the Core Leadership Team, thus are looking for someone with leadership qualities and aspirations. The candidate should have a strong knowledge of accounting principles and practices, with an emphasis on job costing and cash projections. The Controller/Finance Manager will also bring excellent people skills, money management, and general business insight.
- Provides timely, relevant financial and analytical information to enable the business to make informed business decisions.
- Has overall responsibility for the organization’s financial plans and policies, accounting practices, maintenance and fiscal records, financial reports & analysis, and overall financial internal accounting controls for the organization.
- Produces job cost reports on a timely basis.
- Reconciles bank statements.
- Budget, pro forma, and bank loans knowledge.
- Performs detailed first level reviews of monthly general ledger, monthly financials, and annual financial statements, accompanied with analytical reviews.
- Maintains & supervises detailed schedules of debt & leases and monitor all general ledger activity.
- Oversees all A/R, A/P, Payroll, company credit cards and cashflow management.
- Reviews and reconciles year end financials for CPA tax return preparations.
- Assists with vetting and managing subcontracts, contracts, developers, etc.
- Uses sound judgment in making day-to-day decisions with minimum guidance.
- Participates in special projects designed to evaluate various business activities.
- Actively works with and helps train others on Sage Contractor software.
- Provides information and analytics for Workers’ Compensation & Commercial Liability renewal and annual audits.
- Manages and evaluates all IT functions in coordination with contracted IT services company.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- CPA preferred
- 10+ years of relevant construction accounting experience preferred.
- Sage Contractor software experience & QuickBooks knowledge.
- Solid knowledge of job costing and cash projections.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles, as well as knowledge of federal and state regulations.
- The ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections.
- Working knowledge of short- and long-term budgeting & forecasting, rolling budgets, and profitability analysis.
- Recent experience and knowledge of A/R, A/P, Cost accounting, Fixed Assets, Inventory, Financial Statement & Reporting.
- Accounting experience in a large company environment preferably the construction industry
Knowledge, Skills & Ability:
- Solid business acumen, management reporting, and problem-solving skills.
- Customer service attitude who is passionate, focused, and driven.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including listening, coaching, and training.
- Leads a culture of innovation and change.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities while meeting goals with strong problem-solving skills.