No phone calls or solicitations, please.
Martis Camp Club, Tahoe’s premier private club and community, is seeking a Family Activities & Recreation Director to lead the Family Barn team.
This position is fulltime, year-round exempt reporting to the Club General Manager.
The ideal candidate is both comfortable and adept at wearing multiple hats and meets the requirements and experience minimums set out below.
The salary range for this position will be discussed with qualified applicants during the coordination of the first interview.
The Family Activities & Recreation Director is a key leadership position that is responsible for the management of the entire Family Barn operations, with its related amenities and programs, as well as proactively engaging the membership to create goodwill and camaraderie. The Family Activities & Recreation Director is a highly visible position that must have an outgoing, vibrant, and positive energy that creates goodwill among the members, their guests, our fellow Ambassadors, and the local community.
This position will communicate actively and positively interact with and support other department heads on the events and activities of the Club. Strong leadership, inspiration, contagious enthusiasm, and leadership skills are required along with a “can-do” attitude and a “hands-on” approach to all aspects of the Family Barn operations. The Family Activities & Recreation Director will report directly to the General Manager and will plan, budget, and approve staff and operating actions to the highest standard of expression, hospitality, and service.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, manage, and provide a friendly yet professional Family Barn experience with an emphasis on gracious service and hospitality, creative expression, exceptional member accommodation, meticulous preparation, and presentation.
- Foster a superior, anticipatory service attitude and presentation within the staff, with an understanding that a welcoming and friendly interaction and a “can do” attitude is a guiding philosophy.
- Manage the year-round operations of the Family Barn for two distinct seasons.
Summer: Camp Hall activities, seasonal camps, pool operations, movie theatre presentations, bowling alley use, art and education, trails, and hiking.
Winter: indoor events, movie theater, sledding, cross country ski, snowshoe, and hot tubs.
- Manage, create, and direct the operations of the “Folk School” programs, including artists in residence, faculty, and art loft and encourage member participation and enjoyment.
- Hire, motivate, manage, and coach the respective summer and winter staffing for the Family Barn to include the Folk School, Aquatics, Art programs., Amphitheatre, Bowling Alley, Movie Theater, and other activities.
- Manage the operations of the Park Pavilion, Springs Pavilion, Creekside Pavilion, Lost Library, Concert Park Lake, and Nordic/ Snowshoe Shed
- Work with the Events and Entertainment Manager on planning, coordinating, and executing club events including Memorial Day Dinner, July 4th Celebration and Cart Parade, Family Festival, Summer Concert Series, Fall Festival, Holiday Tree Lighting, Festival of Lights, New Year’s Eve, Gingerbread Competition, Winter Festival Days, Easter Brunch and Egg Hunt and Outdoor Performances.
- Participate, promote, and share Martis Camp with the surrounding communities, with an emphasis on youth, education, environmental stewardship, and goodwill.
- Create and maintain a local calendar of events for the information of Martis Camp
- Recommend and book family excursions reflecting outdoor culture, from picnics and hikes to fly fishing to Lake Tahoe boat tours.
- Host weekly walks, tours, hikes, and historical talks utilizing local individuals and locations.
- Produce, oversee, and provide the narrative for the summer and winter calendar of events.
- Provide information and proof narrative for the monthly e-blast that is sent to the members on the first of each month
- Produce and provide narrative and updates on Club events via the Barn Yarn weekly
- Create, lead, and inspire an annual program of Martis Camp member events, hikes, tours, and information based on the four seasons of the Sierra mountains and region.
- Oversee the RSVP process for events, update and distribute to other departments in a timely basis.
- Monitor and control department expenses and payroll. Understand the business side of the Family Barn department.
- Be a source of information on the local scene of where to go, what to do, and when to do it; create a list of local guides and providers for outdoor mountain activities.
- Confer with the General Manager in reviewing activities, operations, sales, expenses, and variance reports to determine changes in programs or operations required.
- Manage the events/concerts associated with the Amphitheatre, including booking, staging, and management of events and hosting of guest speakers, entertainers, and presenters.
- Work with and support the efforts of the Martis Camp Community Foundation in its programs and fund-raising events associated with the Martis Camp Club.
- Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Management or related field strongly preferred
- Strong management skills with verifiable strengths in team development, financial performance, diverse recreational amenity management, and exceptional member/guest service programming.
- Four or more years of management experience in a high-end club, resort, or youth-oriented recreation operation
- Minimum two years’ experience developing and managing a budget in a professional environment
- The ability to consistently define and achieve goals and objectives.
- A Team Builder. A person who embodies the persona of the ultimate coach and motivator, bringing out the best in others by setting clear goals and expectations, providing consistent feedback and support, and treating others with respect and professionalism.
- Possessive of strong organizational skills and an obsession with details necessary to achieve high levels of quality, satisfaction, and outstanding member experiences.
- A charismatic individual with a sense of humor and style that is commensurate with the culture and expectations of a friendly, fun, and supportive membership and a team of associates.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Outlook
- Current American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Certificate; preferred
- Perform tasks that require bending, stooping, kneeling, bending, twisting, crouching, climbing, reaching, standing, sitting, carrying, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping
- Able to lift 30 pounds
- Ability to stand and sit for long periods
Benefits & Perks
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) retirement plan with up to 7% employer match
- Paid Time Off
- Annual Fitness Bonus
- 529 College Saving Account
- Use of some Club amenities (golf course, tennis courts, and private ski lift)
- Meals (one per shift during season) and snacks
- Retail Spa and Golf shop discounts
- Eligibility for Ambassador of the Month
- Annual Ambassador Welcome Lunch
- End of Season Ambassador Bash
- Annual Ambassador Scavenger Hunt
- Ambassador Holiday Party
- Free Annual Flu Shot
- Uniforms provided and laundered
- Free Ambassador Golf & Tennis Clinics
- Kazoo recognition program
To ensure your resume gets to the hiring team for this position, please apply online at: https://www.martiscamp.org/employment
No phone calls or solicitations please.