Sugar Bowl Resort is looking for an Event Manager to deliver all sport events to the highest level of quality possible. The goal is to host and create all levels from recreational through to world class. The goal is to send people home raving about Sugar Bowl and all aspects of their experience at our area. Represent the Sugar Bowl Ski Team and Academy and its members to Race, Freeride & Nordic committees and associations. Work with the Sport Director in the bidding process to Far West and USSS and other ski racing organizations in order to obtain events for Sugar Bowl, including FIS, USSS, racing clubs, college, and high school races. Help develop and deliver new events that are 100% athlete orientated. Build our calendar of events that fit with the overall strategy of Sugar Bowl Corp and communicate this to all.
- Must align with the Sugar Bowl Values.
- Deep understanding of the sports, athlete needs and event management
- Preferred Race qualification: TD, CoC and / or CoR
- Preferred judging experience
- Event delivery experience critical and previous management preferred
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a sometimes high stress, fast paced environment
- Ability to work effectively with other departments
- Must have a positive attitude, good leadership and motivational skills to set example for subordinates.
- Must be guest / athlete experience focused
- Must understand safety management in an event context.
PRE-SEASON DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Interview, reference check, and hire Event Department team
- Train and develop a inspired, professional, high performing department
- Maintain and upgrade on-hill facilities, such as race shacks, finish podiums and scoreboard areas
- Secure, order and maintain supplies, materials, equipment and tools belonging to the department
- Be familiar with Sugar Bowl policies and procedures as to set example for employees to follow
- Prepare and review annual budget for the Race Department. Analyze budget vs. actual reports on a regular basis to ensure that we remain within projected expense and income limits
IN-SEASON DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Represent the Sugar Bowl Ski Team and Academy and its members to race & freeride committees and ski racing / freeride associations, such as Far West (ACC) and FIS.
- In conjunction with the Sports Director, submit bids to FW and USSS and other ski racing organizations in order to obtain events for Sugar Bowl, including FIS, USSS, and other clubs, college and high school races.
- Communicate with athletes and officials regarding all aspects of event management.
- Coordinate with Ski Team race volunteer coordinator to fill roster of race workers for each event.
- Represent the Sugar Bowl Ski Team as its public relations emissary; speak for the team in a way that advances its mission.
- Oversee the recruitment, hiring, training, and performance evaluations of all Event Department staff.
- Foster an atmosphere of respect and courtesy between coaches, parents, athletes, resort employees, and the public; ensure that we maintain a strong emphasis on the guest experience aspect of our program.
- Ensure a positive work environment for all staff and volunteers. Maintain appropriate decorum and language in dealing with team and staff members.
- Ensure that all on-hill staff receives the equipment and resources they require to perform their various functions in an optimal fashion.
- Maintain inventory of all on-hill equipment, including gates, drills, wrenches, timing equipment, radios, and radio chargers. Replenish inventory as needed, following parameters outlined in the budget for each year.
- Arrange for volunteer and staff management of events associated with races, such as banquets and awards ceremonies.
- Oversee all aspects of race events. Coordinate with the Ticketing and Marketing department to ensure marketing of events, registration and ticketing for participants is seamless. Arrange special projects, such as gift/sample distribution to race participants and the ordering and sale of merchandise, such as race-specific sweatshirts and tee-shirts.
- Supervise the ordering of and distribution of awards for award ceremonies (in coordination with ski team staff).
- Ensure the utmost on-hill safety for those training and racing using our facilities. Adhere to current standards for fencing of on-hill obstacles for each discipline.
- Supervise scheduling of lanes in race arena and other training sites.
- Maintain snow surfaces in training and race areas according to the needs of coaches at each program level. Coordinate the snow-making, grooming and watering needs associated with snow preparation appropriate to elite-level ski racing and competition.
Pay $25/hour – $29.50/hour dependent on experience.
All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Sugar Bowl is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.