Visit Truckee-Tahoe is looking for an individual with 5+ years of experience in destination tourism/hospitality and/or the ski industry to join our organization as the Director of Tourism Marketing & Management.
JOB TITLE: Director – Tourism Marketing & Management
SALARY: $115,000+ DOE
Compensation level contingent upon experience and qualifications
The Director of Tourism Marketing & Management works closely with the CEO to successfully implement Visit Truckee-Tahoe’s strategic plan* and the current fiscal year budget.
As a primary responsibility, qualified candidates have extensive tourism destination, ski area and/or hospitality experience in Brand Promotion* tactics and strategies that drive overnight visitation. The objectives are to drive lodging leads during “need periods” (low funnel) in addition to “always on” year-round destination brand awareness and overnight visitor attraction (upper funnel).
Secondarily, this position supports the CEO in executing both the Brand Support & Brand Management pillars within the strategic plan.
In Truckee, tourism management (programs, services, stewardship) is a critical support role for Visit Truckee-Tahoe. Our organization collaborates with VIP Partners (i.e. partner Destination Marketing and Management Organizations, Ski Areas, Town of Truckee, Nevada County, Downtown Merchants Association, Chamber, Recreation & Parks District, and recreation nonprofits) who have the jurisdiction and authority for popular outdoor experiences. This position joins the CEO in serving as a valued resource and engaged partner for our VIP Partners. Supporting tourism management also includes being a champion for communicating VTT’s actions and results to our community, from economic impact to stewardship funding.
The ideal candidate has a track record of permeating stewardship principles and responsible tourism messaging throughout Brand communications. He/she/they oversees year-round visitor education in order to protect the in-market experience and Truckee’s destination reputation, particularly during peak periods.
This position supervises the efficiency and quality of work of multiple contractors and agencies including and not limited to digital search, social media, content creation, and media buying.
While this is a high level role working closely with the CEO, as a small but mighty team of three, the position requires cross-training and pinch hitting. Skills needed include Webflow website updates, Mailchimp E-newsletter creation, content writing, Google slides, etc. VTT is a Google Suite organization.
*References and Resources
- Partner with the CEO in executing the Visit Truckee-Tahoe Two Year Strategic Plan, FY 23/24-24/25 including renewing the Truckee Tourism Business Improvement District (TTBID) by 6/25.
- Manage campaigns, programs, resources and budget needed to achieve priorities and goals, primarily per Brand Promotion and also specific areas in Brand Support (i.e. community outreach).
- Efficiently manage contractors and agencies related to Brand Promotion, overseeing quality of work including and not limited to the Visit Truckee-Tahoe brand website and lodging booking engine.
- Manage execution and compliance to terms and conditions for contracts and agreements related to Brand Promotion – including and not limited to event sponsorships, freelancers, and SaaS software.
- Supervise, train, coach, encourage and oversee quality of work of Communications Coordinator in addition to sharing the workload as a hands-on, team member when needed.
- As directed by the CEO, serve as a spokesperson and advocate for the organization attending multiple public meetings and making presentations representing Truckee’s tourism industry.
- Support the CEO in preparing and conducting the quarterly Truckee Hotelier and Property Manager meetings, in addition to convening and facilitating the Truckee Stewardship Council.
- Be responsible for courteous and highly professional representation of the organization. Be compliant with the Brown Act.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned or requested.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, UNDERSTANDING of TRUCKEE, CALIFORNIA
- Experience with project development, management and tracking per a strategic plan and budget.
- Expertise in content development, marketing channels (bought, earned, owned) and media buying that are needed to effectively accomplish the organization’s priorities and goals in Brand Promotion.
- High degree of tech experience for hands on website, email service provider, social media channel management (in a supervisory and backup role when needed).
- Brand positioning experience for a rural destination that depends upon tourism year round, with a focus on how to lift midweek/shoulder season lodging demand.
- Experience in collaborating with Ski Areas, local government, agencies and districts on joint messaging and communications that drive safe visitation in peak periods, in addition to dispersing visitors to low periods.
- Experience in working with local and county governments on mutual goals for a thriving tourism economy, balanced with community well-being and environmental protection. Demonstrated history of building positive relationships and understanding politics.
- Successful collaborative experience with partner organizations who have the jurisdiction and authority to protect and enhance a destination’s natural assets and attractions.
- Understands how the incorporated Town of Truckee and adjacent unincorporated Nevada and Placer County lands makeup the complete “Truckee” brand destination experience.
- Understands how Truckee is unique and authentic with proximity and access as key brand strengths that support our town as the preferred choice for overnight lodging within the Lake Tahoe region.
- Ability to assimilate complex and diverse information from multiple sources for the purpose of writing brand content articles, press releases, and reports.
- Strong organizational skills, leveraging technology for high efficiency and team communication.
- Very comfortable with working from a home office with consistent, daily engagement on an interdependent small team via Asana, Slack, Zoom and cell with scheduled in-person staff meetings.
- Excellent verbal, written, public speaking and presentation skills.
EDUCATION & KEY WORK EXPERIENCE
- Minimum five years of experience in executive level position(s) for a tourism destination, ski area or large lodging organization, ideally at a destination that is dependent upon ski area visitation.
- Experience with how local and county governments operate (legislative processes, procedures, taxes, TTBID) particularly in partnership with a tourism authority or large recreation based organization.
- Minimum four-year degree from an academic institution in business, marketing, communications, PR or closely related field.
- Experience in hospitality/lodging – from hotels to boutique inns and short term rentals, valued.
- Experience with adhering to a TBID management district plan and renewal thereof, valued.
- Politically astute
- Consensus builder
- Strong public speaker
- Valid CA driver’s license
- Valid ID, Green Card or Resident Card if not a US Citizen
BENEFITS & WORKPLACE STRUCTURE
We value a caring and supportive culture that encourages health, wellness and balance.
Workplace location is virtual (at-home) requiring primary residency in Truckee or North Lake Tahoe.
- Nine paid holidays (can be taken on or within +/- 15 days of the actual holiday)
- 15 PTO days (sick, vacation) first three years, then 20.
- $100/month cell phone and internet reimbursement.
- SIMPLE retirement plan with 3% employer match when eligible.
- Corporate issued Macbook Pro + Large Monitor
- At-home ergonomic assessment ($350 value) + up to $500 for office equipment if needed.
- Option for part-time co-op workspace at local coworking community space.
- Professional Development – Truckee Tahoe Leadership Program
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (VTT is currently evaluating a PPO Medical Group Health insurance plan versus a Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) both as pre-tax options, or a Custom Stipend (after tax) for employees. This benefit will be in place by the estimated start date of this position.
Learn More About Us
Meet our Board of Directors – About Us
Our mission is to promote, protect and enhance Truckee as an authentic mountain town. We serve our lodging business members, partner with key organizations and balance our actions with the well-being of our community.
Travel makes us stronger and kinder. Immersing oneself in new landscapes, meeting new people, broadens our perspectives, expands our knowledge, and pushes our boundaries in a positive way. With that opportunity, comes a commitment to sustainability at home and abroad. And we believe the best sustainability practices are built when we strengthen our connections and relationships to the land and to other people.
How to Apply – Qualified Applications Being Accepted until Feb. 9, 2024
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, Colleen Dalton CEO and learn more about who you will be working with on Linkedin.
All applications will be responded to by February 20th.
- Cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications
- Resume (please include your Linkedin profile link) (PDF)
- Upon finalist qualification, we request and will reach out to three professional references.
If you would like a brief call to clarify any questions prior to applying or wish to send an email, please feel welcome to contact Colleen Dalton, CEO at email@example.com.