This position is located at the Truckee Border Protection Station.
Under general supervision of the Station Manager or Shift Supervisor, or the direction of the designated lead staff, the Agricultural Aide, Agricultural Technician I, II and III performs regulatory inspections on vehicles and commodities to prevent the introduction of unwanted pests into California.
Duties include but limited to:
· Enter the interior of vehicles including trailers, trunks, and passenger compartments of commercial trucks, automobiles, and recreational vehicles, and watercrafts in order to inspect for and remove any hitchhiking pests (i.e., gypsy moth, zebra mussel, etc.)
· Read and interpret shipping manifests and quarantine certificates in order to determine the contents and admissibility of commercial shipments.
· Use printed and electronic reference materials relating to the release or rejection of shipments in order to determine the admissibility of private shipments of plant material.
· Complete on-the-job training (including manuals, computer programs, and videos) designed to assist inspectors in order to learn and keep abreast of changes in regulations, and vehicle inspection procedures.
· Sample and inspect rejected or regulated commodities for pest infestation by collecting and carrying of samples and using a knives, fruit crushers, hand lenses, and microscopes to examine commodities.
· Compare collected specimens with samples or printed or electronic reference materials in order to make a preliminary identification of common pests by.· Preserve and ship suspect pest specimens using the prescribed methods to laboratory for identification.
· Dispose of rejected commodities by grinding, burning, or placement in dumpster.
Candidates may perform these essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
The majority of the job duties are performed outdoors, in the private vehicle and truck inspection areas approximately 90% of the time. When working outdoors, the employee may be exposed to high-low temperature changes and variable climatic conditions such as rain, fog, dust, fumes, gases, and odors. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. Employees are routinely assigned to work weekends and holidays, and rotating shifts including day, evening, and night.
To apply, visit https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=342589
To apply for this job please visit www.calcareers.ca.gov.